Tuesday, April 24, 2007

London Marathon 2007

Tillerwoman and I have just returned to the US after a 10-day trip to the UK during which I ran in the London Marathon last Sunday.

Depending on which account you believe this was the hottest London Marathon ever, or the hottest in eleven years. Either way it was bloody hot for running, by far the warmest marathon from start to finish that I have ever entered. According to the BBC, 5032 runners were treated by the ambulance service on the course and 73 were taken to hospital. Sadly, one of the runners taken to hospital died the next day. Apparently the cause of death according to some sources was hyponatraemia which can be caused by drinking too much water.

World record holder Kenyan Paul Tergat described the weather as "harsh" and 600 people failed to finish the race including the pre-race favorite Haile Gebrselassie from Ethiopia.

For me it was one of the most gruelling, inspiring, humbling, rewarding, memorable, painful, joyful, and sweaty experiences of my life. And it was bloody hot. I can't possibly sum it all up in one post so will probably ramble on about in a few posts over the next few days, interspersed with random thoughts on sailing too.

Oh yes. I did finish. And I wasn't one of the 5032 requiring medical treatment. So that's all good. More to follow...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

To get some perspective on the numbers quoted, how many people started?

Tillerman said...

36,391

EVK4 said...

26 miles. wow. congratulations.

Ant said...

Hey, no fair Tillerman (and woman) you should have said you were over in the UK it would have been great to meet up especially as I'm redundant at the moment with bugger all to do :-(

Ant said...

Oh yeh an bloody well done!

PeconicPuffin said...

"one of the most gruelling, inspiring, humbling, rewarding, memorable, painful, joyful, and sweaty experiences of my life."

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Pat said...

Wow! Talk about following a blistering pace...

Tillerman said...

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Sorry Ant, it would have been great to meet up. Though I think I did mention here once or twice that I was planning to run the London Marathon. Maybe we can meet up on our next UK trip.

Carol Anne said...

Bravo, Tillerman. Well run.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I did a half marathon once and I can only imagine how tough it was.

When I lived in the UK, I used to watch this every year. It is still the most inspiring marathon. I always got choked up and vowed I would do it next year. By end of May sadly that enthusiasm had waned.

Post a Comment