Friday, July 30, 2010

Dork

Esteemed blogger O Docker has decreed that this week is Dork Week. I was a bit confused when I wrote yesterday's post. I thought the blogmaster said Dirk Week. Oops. Maybe I can make amends with this post and write about dorks instead.

So what is a dork?

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong) dork is "USA pejorative slang for a quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends. Often confused with nerd and geek, but does not imply the same level of intelligence."

Hmmm.

Well, O Docker did make a good attempt at portraying himself as a dork in his
More Dork story. Some nonsense about sailing around in circles while playing with the backlight button on his GPS.

Quirky? Yes.

Silly? Yes.

Stupid? Indubitably.

But O Docker is not a dork. He is one of the cool kids.
More Dork is clearly pure fiction and I, for one, don't believe a word of it.

Sadly, in our superficial society, we are quick to label people based on their appearance. If someone's clothes indicate that they are "out of touch with contemporary trends" they may be called a dork. And in sailing it seems that fashions change as quickly as in any other walk of life.

You can often spot a sailing dork by his headgear. There are a lot of dorks in Laser frostbite sailing. Fleece-lined caps. Hats with earmuffs. Peruvian llama herder hats. Very dorky. I probably look pretty dorky myself in my knitted blue and red ski hat with snowflake patterns on it.

But, according to the Google, the champion #1 sailing dork, first on the list of 727,000 results for a search on "sailing dork" is....



8 comments:

Tweezerman said...

I had no idea........

Google #1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

I'm speechless........

I would like to thank my parents who have no idea why I turned out like I did, my wife who is continually shaking her head, my kids, to whom I am a great source of amusement, to zinc oxide clown face, to knotted handkerchief headgear, to knee pads, to Tillerman's discovery, to.............

Tillerman said...

It is indeed a great honor. And you certainly deserve it.

it should also be said...

... that this post by Tillerman is now #1 on Google for searches of "proper dork".

O Dorker said...

Congratulations to Tweezerman for this remarkable achievement.

As proof that my own headgear is not out of touch with contemporary trends, I offer this.

my2fish said...

okay, so I saw that Edward and O'Dorker(?) have both written about Dark. Tillerman then quickly covered both Dirk and Dork.

so, who's going to blog about Derk and Durk?

and, of course - there's that tricky "sometimes Y" part...

but how can you weave Dual Specificity Tyrosine Phosphorylation Regulated Kinase (DYRK) into a sailing/water blog?

good luck with that one blogfather.
cheers, my2fish

Tillerman said...

Oh cripes. Did I get it wrong again? The optician swore that this new prescription for my bifocals would help me read better.

Baydog said...

Hey Tillerman, isn't it spelled "honour" in jolly old?

Robots and bifocals. You must start taking the blame yourself.
Really

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Tillerman said...

Baydog, you are correct in noting that "honor" is spelled "honour" in Real English. But I am trying to assimilate into my adopted country. Also my browser checks my spelling against the American dialect and I haven't figured out how to change it yet.

Post a Comment