Sunday, October 05, 2014

Textbook!

As expected the video debrief on the Laser racing this evening at Minorca Sailing this year was somewhat embarrassing for me.

I settled in for the session with a large glass of beer to dull the inevitable pain.

First there was a shot of me sailing upwind on which the instructor made no comment even thought it looked to me like I was doing OK.

Then there was a shot of me sailing upwind on which the instructor pointed out to me that I wasn't sailing the boat flat enough and I should get my shoulders back more. Good feedback. Thanks.

Then there was a shot of me dropping the tiller in a tack and heading up and slowing down, so much in fact that I then had to duck a starboard tacker whom I thought I would cross. The instructor didn't need to make any comment. The many howls and hoots of derisions from the peanut gallery said it all.

I now hate those guys in the peanut gallery.

Those guys in the peanut gallery



Then a shot of me doing a leeward mark rounding. If I do say so myself, I thought it was pretty decent.

The instructor said it was "textbook."

Textbook!

I think that's a compliment.





It must be at least 20 years ago I went to a one day masters clinic at Wianno YC held before the Atlantic Coast Champs there. The coach was Brad Dellenbaugh. I still remember that Brad Dellenbaugh said I did an "excellent" gybe.

People remember positive feedback a long time.

Instructors and coaches and teachers should know that.



Textbook!

Hmmm.

And so to bed.


5 comments:

Vadim Movchan said...

Sounds like it is boring there at Minorca. Perfection is always way to go

Baydog said...

Wait! What did you and T-woman have for dinner???

Tillerman said...

Oh sorry Baydog. I forgot the important stuff. I had a platter of Minorcan meats and chicken kebab. She had some grilled cod and ratatouille.

George A said...

Coaches tend to be cheerleaders, except when they're not...

Tillerman said...

I'm getting tons of great feedback on things to improve too so it's all good.

Post a Comment