Friday, June 15, 2007

Awesome

Superb day on Nantucket Sound today at the Laser North Americans. 15-20 knots of breeze out of the north and plenty of waves. As expected, my first day back at Laser racing was a humbling experience. My lack of fitness was exposed and I seemed to have forgotten what little I knew about how to sail the boat in waves.

But it was terrific to be out on the water again. I'd forgotten how much fun these little plastic boats can be.

On the positive side also...

1. I didn't capsize. (At least not in a race).
2. I did finish all three races.
3. I wasn't last in any race.
4. I did pass some boats.
5. I did beat a former Laser North American Champion in one race. Well actually a very former Laser North American Champion. The 1980 champion. But hey, I'm an oldie too.

As for my other objectives, I did manage to "work hard enough to be completely exhausted", actually probably a bit too hard. And I did manage to identify many areas in which I need to improve; but I'm way too shattered to blog about them tonight.

When I was recovering from the day back at my hotel earlier this evening, my son called and put my 18-month-old granddaughter on the line. Apparently she had learned a new word today.

"Say hello to grandad," he told her. (She never speaks on the phone.)

I heard her little voice saying, "Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome."

Quite right Emily. It was an awesome day.

4 comments:

EVK4 said...

I don't use the word "awesome" lightly, but that is an awesome ending to your day. You've picked up right where you left off on this blogging thing.

Pat said...

Plenty of good wind, some very great sailors, lots to learn, and you got through the day without serious mishap ... check, yep, awesome fits.

Zen said...

Totally Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Massively awesome!

Post a Comment