Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Ocean Grandad

The greatest pleasure this summer has not been all the Laser regattas in which I have sailed or even settling into our new house by the sea. It has been the opportunity to spend much more time with my granddaughter now that we are living closer to her.

We haven't taken her sailing yet but her mother and father have been getting her comfortable with the water through sessions in their backyard pool and numerous visits to the beach. When they are not around I have taught her other ways to have fun with water such as shooting Grandma with a water pistol.

Of course we all think she is the brightest and cutest baby there ever was. And she does seem to be very articulate for her age. One of her favorite words is "ocean". I suspect that is what she was saying at the time the photo above was taken of the two of us.

However, much as she loves the water, she does occasionally get confused about the relative sizes of various bodies of water. On seeing Mount Hope Bay this weekend (the bay in front of our house which is about 7 miles long and 2 or 3 miles wide) she proclaimed that this was "Grandad's Pool" and that all the yachts sailing on it on a breezy sunny Sunday afternoon were "Grandad's boats."

I wish.

8 comments:

EVK4 said...

I can't wait until you start getting her out sailing. It makes sailing infinitely more fun as you see them enjoying it. I guess you've gone through that before with Litoralis but now you have the added bonus of blogging about it.

Unknown said...

God, she's cute! Have a great time in Spain!

Christy ~ Central Air said...

Oh, Tillerman! That photo is a work of art, and that story is priceless.

We'll all be looking forward to reading about your first sail together.

~Christy~

JP said...

Aahhhhh - priceless moment

I remember when one of my neices first saw the sea. She was only just talking and sat on the beach and stared and stared and finally said "Big Bath! Big Bath!!"

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That's such a cute post! Thank you so much for the big smile you bought to my dial.I always love proud grandparents!!! Yay!

By the way... I love the size of your 'pool'! heh heh

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Carol Anne said...

That is a great picture. Litoralis should frame it and put it on top of the piano -- or in the hallway, or on his desk, or wherever in the house is the place that photos of great esteem go.

Anonymous said...

I bet she will have fun once you are able to take her sailing. I know how much my girls love sailing, (granted on a bigger boat).

Good luck on the water...

Tillerman said...

Good idea carol anne. I have put the photo in the "place that photos of great esteem go", the sidebar of the blog of course.

Post a Comment