Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Party Like a Sailor

Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebs. Some other sailing blogger wrote a post today about what he claimed was history's largest cocktail. Some rather pathetic story about some dude in a wig who mixed a cocktail in a garden fountain with a few hundred gallons of liquor.

That's not a large cocktail. That's an itsy-bitsy pre-party warm-up drink for girls and Force 5 sailors.

If you want to have a real party this Christmas and want to go for the real world record for history's largest cocktail then you're going to have to concoct something bigger than the Margarita measuring 7039 gallons that was made on 17 May 2001 by staff at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville and Mott's Inc., Universal City Walk, Orlando, Florida, USA.


Now that's a cocktail.

8 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Hic! [looks up breary-eyed from underneath the table] Wassat...? [hic]

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Litoralis said...

Where are the waiters in canoes?

Litoralis said...

...and actually that's a mixed drink, not a cocktail.

Pat said...

Legio mariae sent me the recipe for cookies to go with these drinks, so I posted it.

EVK4 said...

Litoralis, what's the difference between mixed drinks and cocktails? I should know this having come from a long line of expert drinkers but alas I don't.

Litoralis said...

A cocktail is a drink made primarily from liquor with perhaps a dash or drop of some sort of juice or water or soda, whereas a mixed drink is a mixture of liquids containing alcohol, ice and sometimes liqueur, fruit, sauce, honey, milk or cream.

Of course the distinction is a fine one.

Anonymous said...

Edward, I apologize for my failure as a parent to conduct appropriate alcohol education for my son on the true nature of a cocktail. He is clearly confused on this issue as a result of being led astray by bad influences after leaving the parental home.

EVK4 said...

Litoralis, I would have identified those as the exact opposite. I think of a mixed drink as Scotch & Water, Rum & Coke, etc. A cocktail is somthing frouphy like a Pina Colada or Mai Tai.

But I'm serious that I'm a really bad drinker and don't really know. I will defer to you despite what your TillerDad says.

Post a Comment