Thursday, January 21, 2010

Original Drawing of Sailor in Training for Laser Masters Worlds


Conversation today between myself and my 4-year-old granddaughter.

Emily: Look Grandad, I've drawn you a picture!

Me: That's very nice Emily. Is that me on my boat?

Emily: Yes!

Me: It's very good. That's the water at the bottom?

Emily: Yes!

Me: And then that's me on the boat, and the sails at the top?

Emily: Yes!

Me: How many sails does my boat have?

Emily: Two!

Me: OK. And I like the pattern you drew on this sail.

Emily: Yes, it's a star! Grandma told me you have a star on your sail.

Me: That's right. But why do I have six fingers on one hand?

Emily: Don't be silly Grandad. You only have five fingers. That other line is the rope you hold when you are sailing.

Me: Oh.

I think she may be a bit confused about what a Laser actually looks like but I think it's a good attempt purely from imagination. But then I'm biased.

Her uncle and aunt bought her a child's digital camera for Xmas so perhaps in the summer I will be posting photos she takes of me and my boat. For now, here is a photo I took of her taking a photo of me taking a photo of her...

3 comments:

Pat said...

So that's the trick for getting to the international Laser stage ... two sails!

Be wary of giving cameras to small children... Gerald got one when he was around four and now he's switched his major to photography.

O Docker said...

I don't know, that looks a lot like me when I used to try to sail a Laser. I was in the water. The boat was above me sideways.

But Emily was born long after I stopped trying to sail a Laser. Where would she have gotten such an idea?

my2fish said...

Wait... you're the six-fingered man?

My father was slaughtered by a six-fingered man. He was a great swordmaker, my father. When the six-fingered man appeared and requested a special sword. My father took the job. He slaved a year before it was done....
I was eleven years old. And when I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six-fingered man and say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Post a Comment