Friday, May 25, 2012

Playing Tacti-Crack


What else I am supposed to do?

I did my back in last week from a combination of too much running, sailing in too much wind, too much gardening, and too much Facebook and Twitter.

Or something.

It's getting better. But slowly.

It's not better enough yet to risk Laser sailing with it.

And this is the best time of the year to go sailing.

It's killing me.

So today I played SailX the best online multi-player sailboat racing simulator on the planet.

Hey, it may be the only online multi-player sailboat racing simulator on the planet, for all I know.

Back in the day, I was pretty good at SailX, formerly know officially as Tacticat... or Tact-Crack for the addicted.

Hey, I was even interviewed about one regatta by the famous sailing interviewer, Barry Dobson.

But now I'm crap.

I'm out of practice.

I fouled other sailors at the start. I was OCS all the time. I fouled other sailors at the marks. It was awful.

Also I have a different computer now. The Shift key is where the arrow keys used to be. This means that every time I try to put the bow down I accidentally let go of the sheet instead. Not fast!

I did see some of my old sailing buddies. Sailing_Rugger. Bluenose. Litoralis.

Geeze those guys are fast. They probably "sail" on Tacti-Crack every day.

The worst thing is that I know that when my back is better and I do get back into real Laser sailing again, I'm going to be so out of practice that I will be as bad as I was today on Tacti-Crack.

Getting old sucks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first read this, I thought you said one of the causes of the your bad back was too much wind. The Benny Hill in me fell off the chair.

Backs suck but it's not an age thing. I did mine in in my 20s when I used to row competitively. 25 years later I finally sorted it out.

A good physio and lots of stretching sorted me out. I hope you recover

Dutchie said...

Sorry to hear about your back. I once did my back in and thankfully acupunture worked for me at the time. Wish you a speedy recovery!

GBR 134 said...

I have sympathy - my back is killing me. Also I am sad enough to know that Sailx screen shot for this post is at least 2 years old!

Noodle said...

Oh, well... That's probably why it looks just as exciting as battleships. It is outdated.

Post a Comment