Tuesday, October 23, 2012

They don't like it up 'em




I was saddened to hear in last night's presidential debate that the US military doesn't have as many bayonets these days as they did in 1917.

The value of the bayonet as an excellent tool for dealing with uncooperative foreigners was a recurring theme in the BBC television series Dad's Army. Corporal Jones, a World War 1 veteran, was famous for often recounting his experiences using the bayonet in action and reminding anyone who would listen that, "They don't like it up 'em!"


 


Call me old-fashioned, but I say let's bring back the bayonet.


7 comments:

Baydog said...

My Dad says, 'did it ever go away?'. Oo-rah!

my2fish said...

this post would be much cooler if there were more horses.

Tillerman said...

Maybe I will find some pretext to do another post about binders full of horses?

kiwiyates said...

Oh my - we of British descent think too much alike.

Corporal Jones was the first thing I thought of too.... well straight after "you stupid politicians!"

Adam said...

Captain Mainwaring for President. Pikey for Veep (Stupid Boy). Wilson for Sec of State. Jonesy for Chief of Staff.

By the way, this clip made my day.

john in PDX said...

It never left
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221873/Obamas-horses-bayonets-zinger-Mitt-Romney-final-presidential-debate-goes-viral.html

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Good to have something to look forward to!

Post a Comment