Friday, March 15, 2013

Rhubarb

Enough with all these posts for my more hard-core Laser-oriented readers.

Enough with talk of torches and plaques.

Let's talk about food... and the weather.

On Wednesday I sniffed a hint of Spring in the air and, as we all know, in Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of...

I forget.



Anyway, I took Tillerwoman for a walk around the garden to search for hints of Spring.

We found all sorts of bulbs coming up, and snowdrops in flower.

We found leaves coming out on the honeysuckle and buds on the roses.

And we found shoots on the rhubarb!


I could definitely have gone for a rhubarb crumble with ice cream, or even better - custard, but this rhubarb wasn't ready for picking yet.

So I did the next best thing.

I went Laser sailing in Bristol.

It was blowing around 10 knots from the west and the air temperature was about 50 degrees.

Woo hoo! Spring!



Last week I spent four days in Florida with some friends, training with Kurt Taulbee of SailFit. I came back with a long list of ways to improve my Laser sailing technique that Kurt pointed out to me (more on that in another post) so on Wednesday I worked on a few of those for an hour or so. It felt good.



As I was derigging my Laser on the beach some random guy came up to me and asked the question that random guys always ask, "Is that a Sunfish?"

Aaaaaarghh.

Then, just as I was finishing packing up the boat on the trailer, one of the Bristol Tuesday night Laser sailing regulars came by. He had obviously been out for a run on the East Bay Bike Path. We had a good long chat about the local Laser sailing scene and how to make it even better than it already is.



Today it's colder.

But Spring is definitely on the way.

You gotta believe.


6 comments:

George A said...

I like rhubarb crumble with vanilla sauce. Ice cream just doesn't get it done. Now warm apple betty does go hand in hand with a bit of rum raisin ice cream.

Clark said...

Just give in and get a Sunfish...Life will be easier. OBTW I'll just happen to have one for sale in a few weeks :). Congrats on the sail and the rhubarb!
Kent

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Unless the ice cream is Häagen-Dazs's vanilla. To add anything other that a splash of the day's coffee is to abuse perfection. I am a non-recovering addict.

my2fish said...

I thought spring was here in Michigan - have seen several robins, a few little crocuses were poking up in our front flower bed... and then I woke up this morning to 2 inches of fresh snow on the ground.

we should have eaten that damn groundhog.

Tillerman said...

It's much the same around here my2fish. The weather teases us for about two months. A sign of Spring. A cold spell. A few crocuses here and there. Then some more wet snow. I think I need another trip to somewhere warm.

Today Tillerwoman and I tried to go for a walk on one of our favorite beaches only to discover it had been totally destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.

bonnie said...

Very yucky here in NYC tonight. I feel sorry for that poor early-bird oystercatcher I saw in Jamaica Bay yesterday. I was so happy to see him (or her) but yuck, I wouldn't want to be sleeping out tonight.

Funny that just a few days back I was wondering if maybe I could get away with some early planting. Think I better just work on the soil for now.

Post a Comment