The shit finally hit the fan...
I have written before (see Three Laser Classes? for example) about the dispute between the designer of the Laser, Bruce Kirby, and the major Laser manufacturer in the world, LaserPerfomance.
The Laser class has been caught in the middle, trying as best it can to help the parties resolve their differences and not to get caught in the crossfire. The dispute has dragged on for a couple of years.
Now it has gone legal...
Bruce Kirby has filed a lawsuit against LaserPerformance (Europe) Limited, its owner Farzad Rastegar, a couple of other companies which, as far as I can gather, are part of Rastegar's empire and...
the International Laser Class and
the International Sailing Federation.
What should I do?
- Hunker down and hope it all gets solved satisfactorily sooner or later?
- Buy a new Laser before they run out?
- Not buy a new Laser because it might not really be a legal Laser?
- Buy as many good quality second-hand Lasers as I can in order to make a killing when the supply of legal Lasers runs out?
- Switch to sailing Sunfish?
- Emigrate to Australia?
Any IP lawyers out there who can explain this to me in words of less than four syllables?