Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Club Colonna

I received an email today from Sunsail promoting various sailing vacations. But the one that caught my eye was for their watersports center in Antigua, Club Colonna. Apparently they have spent $3 million on various upgrades and are offering 25% off their already very reasonable rates for certain dates.

I'm tempted.

My wife and I spent a week at the club a few years ago after a sailing cruise from Grenada to Antigua. For a dinghy sailor it's about as good as it gets. 20 knot winds every day. Big range of toys to play with including Hobie cats, Lasers and various asymmetric rig dinghies such as the Topaz. Laid back instruction if you want it. Friendly racing several times a week.

And of course all the usual ambiance of a Caribbean island. Steel bands. Golden beaches. Coral reefs. Drinks with fruit in and little umbrellas on top.

Hmmm. I see that the low rates are only offered until the end of January. I'm running the Disneyworld Marathon on January 8 followed by a few days R&R in Florida. Can I persuade my non-sailing wife that it would be a good idea to leave the frozen north-east again about a week after returning from Florida so that she can sit on a Caribbean beach for 10 days and sip margaritas while I go sailing?

Weather Underground is saying there is a chance of snow tonight. I bet that if we do wake up in morning to see some wet white stuff it will be an easier sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment