Monday, December 06, 2010

Sandwich Islands


In response to my post about where to escape in the winter, both bonnie and Peconic Puffin suggested Hawaii. It's a place I've never visited. It always seems such a long way from the East coast of the US when other attractive sailing destinations, even warm ones, are so much closer.

Today's Map on Monday is of the Sandwich Islands, which was the name given to the Hawaiian Islands by James Cook on one of his voyages in the 1770s. Cook named the islands after John Montagu (the fourth Earl of Sandwich) for supporting Cook's voyages. The map dating from 1868 was issued for a paper by the Bishop of Honolulu.

So what am I missing? Do I need to add the Sandwich Islands to my list of 1001 Places I Must See Before I Die?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I know your not much of a cruiser but California to Hawaii is supposed to be a very nice sail. ;)

bonnie said...

Or so rumour has it...

:D

O Docker said...

We're lucky Cook didn't get his funding from another English nobleman.

.

David said...

Hawai'i is a great place to sail TO, but not that great to sail as such. Few harbors, very rough water, basically impossible to charter locally. Better to take the 747 and rent a windsurfer.

Dan said...

I went to Hawaii in March to do something differant than sail. I went to the Big Island for five days mainly to see volcanos and mountains. That was one of the items on my "bucket list". Like David said, there were few harbors and it was windy most of the days and the ocean was rough. I documented my jouney starting here:
http://svgreatwhite.blogspot.com/2010/03/off-to-hawaii.html

It was fun to play tourist for a change. I once spent two weeks in Honolulu for work and was worn out from the amount of people. Sailing was probably better there.

EscapeVelocity said...

Never been there either, or Alaska or North Dakota. Of the three, it's certainly the one I'd pick for this time of year.

Joe said...

David...Hawaii is a great place to sail...period, the end. My pal, Mark sailed his El Toro around Oahu. I've sailed around Kauai, the Big Island, off the beach on Maui....Maui is one of the top places in the world to Windsurf and Kite board. Yeah the channels can get really rough. As far as harbors, pick up Charlie's Charts of the Hawaiian Islands. it will show all the spots to anchor.

Joe said...

...you can sail with the folks at the Kona Sailing Club or Na Hoa Holomoku aka Hilo Sailing Club(I'm a member) on the Big Island.

Joe said...

...and on Maui you can rent boats from the West Maui Sailing School.

Rotorhead said...

Be advised, you may not come back.

bonnie said...

Yes, that's a particular hazard for the retired. Those of us who would need to find work there...maybe not so much... :-(

Post a Comment