Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Stretch


I really should stretch more. Do yoga or something like that. I did drop a hint about some yoga DVDs for Xmas, so you never know.

We all get less flexible as we get older. Some days these old bones feel really stiff. And you need some degree of flexibility to sail a silly little boat like a Laser. That boom is so damn low.

Kids are flexible. My 6 month old grandson Owen can even suck his own toes. His brother and sister could suck their toes at that age too. Actually I challenged his sister (now 5 years old) at the weekend to see if she could still suck her toes. And she can. But it wasn't very elegant or ladylike. So I didn't take a photo.

But Owen sucking his toes looks cute. At least, I think so. But then I'm biased.

I can't suck my toes.

I don't think I'll ever be able to suck my toes.

8 comments:

Dennis @ Discount Marine Electronics said...

Maybe you might want to start with something a little less ambitious and just get a good stretch in :) Then think about working your way up to sucking your toes. But you make a good point, at a certain age our muscles just start losing all their flexibility.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, you'll just have to pay someone else to suck your toes for you.

That's legal, right?

Tony

Chris Partridge said...

Since taking rowing more seriously I have recovered the ability to touch my toes.
Sucking my toes may need surgery...

PeconicPuffin said...

Yoga has me touching my toes again. Re yoga...take classes, don't work with DVD's.

Tillerman said...

There once was a duchess named Sarah
Who committed an unforgivable error
She let her boyfriend suck her toes
And now all the world knows
Thanks to a photo in the Daily Mirror.

PeconicPuffin said...

Anyone can see that he's kissing the bottom of her foot, not sucking her toes.

Pat said...

Is toe sucking something you have to do to achieve top status within the Laser Masters? From what I remember you said before, it wasn't necessarily part of the qualification process for registering for the Worlds.

But I know that coaches recommend some special training that I don't know much about for dinghy sailors, and wonder if this could have something to do with avoiding heavy air gybe wipeouts and controlling new-style hardware on the Laser so as to sail normally inverted or something like that?

Boat Air Conditioners said...

Maybe you might want to start with something a little less ambitious and just get a good stretch in :) Then think about working your way up to sucking your toes. But you make a good point, at a certain age our muscles just start losing all their flexibility.

Post a Comment