Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gunkholing on Chesapeake Bay



Another entry today in this month's group writing project Top Sailing Destination on the Planet. Mitch who writes Bone in its Teeth says...

You're kidding me, right? How about 330+ entries about the TOP sailing destination on the planet? Here's the link -- I'll go make a sandwich while you catch up on what I've been posting about for the past couple of years. In all seriousness, I can think of no finer area to go sailing and gunkholing than in the Chesapeake Bay and the surrounding coastal waters of Maryland and Virginia.

And he has a list of eight reasons why Chesapeake Bay is the top sailing destination on the planet, including awesome critters, spectacular gunkholing, and soft bottoms.

Hmmm. I wish I knew what "gunkholing" was. I know that a lot of sailors like it. What's the attraction about gunk? But I do know what soft bottoms are and I like them too. Oh, and by the way, Mitt says it's huge. I found the photo at the top of this post on Mitch's blog. I don't think that's the boat that he sails around the Chesapeake on but it is a pretty cool picture.

So thanks to Mitch and all the other participants so far.

But where are the Usual Suspects?

3 comments:

Sam Chapin said...

THAT is a good blog site and the Bay certainly is big --- and with that fresh water, salt water thing.

Baydog said...

Funny, it looks like the boat he sails around the Chesapeake is exactly like the one I sail around the Barnegat. There are a couple of other eerie similarities regarding the design of his page. I like it!

Anonymous said...

You can click here to find out about gunkholing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunkholing

Baydog is right; looks like we own the same boat or close to it (mine is a Pearson 303), though his looks prettier. ;-)

Post a Comment