Friday, November 18, 2005

Thank you

Thank you.

Thank you for your supportive comments about my writing but, no, I'm not a novelist in training. It's all real. I'm glad we appreciate the same things such as sailors' support of each other and our vanity about hats.

Thank you for your insightful comments on racing strategy and rules and mental preparation. I admire your dedicated efforts to improve your own and your crew's performance and am learning a lot from you.

Thank you for your different perspective on our sport. When we met you were a recreational keelboat sailor and I was a racing dinghy sailor. I think our exchanges are widening horizons for both of us.

Thank you for your youthful enthusiasm -- well, you sound young. I love your stories of struggling with spinnakers and of sailing in England in the rain. Makes me nostalgic.

But especially thank you for making sure that I rarely have to see the dreaded 0 comments.

3 comments:

EVK4 said...

First post.

My favorite part about your blog is something wholly unrelated to sailing. My father (lifelong sailor and the reason I can actually make a boat move) clicked on my link to your blog and was really enjoying it then saw a political comment opposed to his and was shocked. I don't think he was ready for a literate, intelligent sailor not being aligned to the right with him.

I've never seen a political comment in your blog, I must have missed that day. But it brought a smile to my face.

Carol Anne said...

You're welcome.

Actually, I don't think I've ever accused you of being a novelist in training, but vivid descriptions and narrative such as yours are not out of place in non-fiction either. If you look at the best non-fiction, it has all of the same elements. I teach essays, which are non-fiction, but I'm always encouraging my students to put in those details that move the reader. The most effective writing is that which engages the reader on multiple levels, and yours does that.

Oh, and thank YOU for making me feel so good about participating in your blog!

Anonymous said...

I am young 16 but nearly 17. Went to the club on sunday and it was very frosty and cold, there was absolutely no wind- the lake was like a mirror! We didn't get to sail that sunday.
Thankyou for giving me something interesting to read when I have my free's at college. I was thinking the other day how wonderful the internet is, allowing people from different countries to share their thoughts about a subject and reading others thoughts. Like I always wonder whether you will have had the same weather as me in England for sailing. Was it very cold and frosty, with no wind for you on sunday?

Claire (England)

Post a Comment