Sunday, August 17, 2008

Protest

I wrote last week about the mysterious Isle of Spar.

It comes. It goes.

I see it every day from my window, but Blaskowitz never believed in it and omitted it from his famous chart.

Wikipedia says it's in Massachusetts
last time they looked. NOAA disagrees. They definitely saw it in Rhode Island.

Wikipedia "says it's only visible at extreme low tide". Hmmm. My eye doctor says the vision in my left eye can only be corrected to 20/40 vision but I see it at every state of the tide except the the highest of the high. Even with my left eye.

It's there. No it's here. Now I see it. Now you don't. Weird.

But yesterday there was a protest on Spar Island. I wrote a few weeks ago about the proposal to build an offshore terminal for liquefied natural gas (LNG) tankers in My Bay. The as yet imaginary terminal would be close to the perhaps mythical Spar Island.



So yesterday the opponents of the LNG terminal led by the Coalition for Responsible Siting of LNG Facilities organized a protest on the bay. More than 100 sailors, power boaters, kayakers and other activists made a several-mile cruise up the bay to protest plans to build the LNG unloading terminal. One of the leaders of the protest, Joseph Carvalho, landed on the famed Isle of Spar and actually gave a press conference there.

His reaction on his first visit to the mysterious mid-bay maybe island: "It was a wild and scenic view. It was gorgeous. I soaked it in. It’s truly amazing."

Sure is dude.

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That sounds fascinating - a sand-bar press conference! Wow!

We've got no water out at Carcoar dam (where I normally sail)... perhaps we could hold one on a submerged bridge that's starting to pop-up? lol :P

Post a Comment