I'm not sure what to expect. Either my advanced age or my lack of fitness or my general wimpiness or all of the above were factors in my pathetic racing season last year. The Fat Boys was actually the
So I have five days left to get ready for Wickford. That should be enough right?
But I need to make some decisions, in the limited time I have available, on how best to prepare for the regatta. There are hotshots coming from as far south as Virginia, and last year's district champion, so I have to be at my best.
Here are 33 things I could do to prepare for the regatta. Which ones do you think are worth doing?
- Do several long runs to build up my stamina.
- Go for a long bike ride to build up my stamina.
- Meditate on Rule 5.
- Check all the bits of string on my boat and replace the ones that have frayed the most.
- Refinish my foils.
- Polish my bottom.
- Get my car serviced so it doesn't break down on the way to the regatta.
- Attend to all the rust on my trailer so it doesn't fall to pieces on the way to the regatta.
- Find out where the regatta is and put it in my GPS so I don't get lost on the way to the regatta.
- Put Ben Ainslie's book under my pillow.
- Read a chapter or two of Ben Ainslie's book.
- Hypnotize myself into believing I am Ben Ainslie.
- Buy Tillerwoman some flowers to let her know how much I appreciate her letting me go sailing all weekend.
- Take Tillerwoman out to lunch to let her know how much I appreciate her letting me go sailing all weekend.
- Tell Tillerwoman how much I appreciate her.
- Mow the lawn because it needs doing.
- Mulch the shrubs because it needs doing.
- Write a blog post every day because... hmm... I have no idea why.
- Buy more Powerade.
- Buy more beer.
- Buy more rum.
- Visualize that race last winter when I led the Newport frostbite fleet round the first mark.
- Visualize that race at the Fat Boys where I was almost second.
- Visualize drinking rum after sailing.
- Go sailing a couple of times this week.
- Sit on my hiking bench a couple of times this week.
- Do some yoga.
- Buy one of those fancy Zhik wetsuits with hiking pads. They are so expensive they must make you go faster, right?
- Buy a new wind indicator so I know which way the wind is blowing.
- Buy more Advil.
- Pre-register for the regatta so I actually have to show up.
- Set some objectives for the regatta.
- Decide to have fun at the regatta.
So what do you think?
If I could only do, say, seven to ten of the above, which ones do you think I should choose?
And what have I missed?