Sunday, May 12, 2013

Warning

When I am an old man I shall sail a purple Laser
And wear a red do-rag which doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on single malt Scotch and Zhik wetsuits
And a new sail every three months, and say I've no money for gas.

I shall sit down on the dock and drink rum when I'm tired
And pump three times on every wave and shout "protest" a lot
And use the F-word in rants on all the sailing forums
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out sailing in 30 knots on my own
And steal bits from other sailors' boats
And learn to ooch.




You can wear Hawaiian shirts and grow more fat
And eat three large pizzas at a go
Or only oysters and beer for a week
And hoard duct tape and tools and Advil and things in boxes.

But now we must have USCG approved PFDs that keep us safe
And pay our entry fees and remember to thank the race committee
And set a good example for the children.
We must do our RC duty and read the sailing instructions.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to sail a purple Laser.



with apologies to Jenny Joseph

4 comments:

O Docker said...


Some things we learn too well.

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to make up for the sobriety of my youth.

George A said...

No purple boats for me. I've got my eye on one of those puke green early lasers with a Hans Fogh sail and wood blades. She'll be ugly, right outta the barn, and the sail will look like a stained bed sheet, but she'll go like stink.

Tillerman said...

Oh yeah, the green boats were the fastest. Everybody knows that.

my2fish said...

I'm not a big fan of colored hull boats. and purple would be low on my list. more power to ya!

Post a Comment