Monday, June 12, 2006

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

I was shocked to discover today that Jill Murray, the author of Exponential Blogger, apparently thinks that I am a cult -- or perhaps it's you dear readers who are the cult. I think she meant it in a positive way but I'm not sure.

J. Gordon Melton said that his working definition of a cult is a group that you don't like, and according to religious tolerance.org the meaning of the world cult varies from the positive - devotion or homage to a particular person or thing - to the very negative - a small, evil religious group, often with a single charismatic leader, which engages in brainwashing and other mind control techniques, believes that the end of the world is imminent, and collects large amounts of weaponry in preparation for a massive war.

I promise you that I'm not collecting weaponry of any kind (unless you count an unreasonably extensive arsenal of sailing clothing and accessories) and I have most certainly never been described as charismatic, but, just in case, please, please... whatever Tillerman may ask you to do in the coming months, don't drink the Kool-Aid.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Jill Murray? I don't know if this is a cult, I do however worship shiny things that fall from the sky.

Anonymous said...

I'm Jill Murray.

I think that the nice thing about a personality cult is that you get to choose whether or not you're evil.

So yes, Tillerman, that's a positive thing and a compliment.

Anonymous said...

Cults are not necessarily evil... you can use your powers for good... teaching non-sailors to love sailing. The more sailors we have, the more power we'll have as a group.

Pat said...

But do we need Absolute Power in order to corrupt everyone into becoming Absolutely sailors?

Tammy Brierly said...

LOL My sailing I do vicarously through your blog and Dan's...pretty scary stuff! LOL

Post a Comment