Sunday, May 06, 2007

Homeless

I should be sailing a Laser regatta somewhere today, but unfortunately the priorities of finding a house to live in have pre-empted my sailing. Tillerwoman and I have officially been homeless for about six weeks now, ever since we sold our New Jersey home. Not that I'm exactly sleeping under my Laser and playing my guitar in the street to beg for food. We are staying in a very comfortable apartment in southern Massachusetts courtesy of fellow blogger Bill M.

Before and after our trip to the UK to run the London Marathon, we have been searching in Rhode Island and various coastal areas of Massachusetts for a house to buy. Today we are taking the Whippersnapper and Mrs Whippersnapper back to one that looks promising to get their opinion, and also to take a second look ourselves. Being the busy young people they are this was the only day they could make, so I had to miss the regatta. We're going to check out another couple of possible houses with them too.

You wouldn't think it would be all that hard to find a house in this so-called buyers' market. My requirements are very simple. I just need somewhere near a launching ramp for my Laser, reasonably situated for easy travel to the New England Laser regattas in the summer, not too far from Newport so I can sail with the Newport Laser Fleet in the winter, and preferably with somewhere to store my Laser.

However Tillerwoman has a long list of other selection criteria including such trivia as bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, living room, dining room, garden, porch, deck, patio, garage, view, character, style, craftsmanship, decoration, age, appliances, neighborhood, community, shops, location... and so on ...and so on. Not that all of her needs are frivolous. I think a water view would be cool too.

And so the search goes on. Wish us luck. Maybe today we will find our dream house.


6 comments:

Carol Anne said...

Listen to Tillerwoman. You may have to set up priorities of what's important and what's really important, so you don't end up compromising on something that is really important.

The big compromise that I regret making is on bathrooms -- both on having a full rather than three-quarters master bath, and on having an ensuite master bath. That has come to be the thing I hate most about the house in Albuquerque. I have to take a shower, even when I crave (or my physical therapist prescribes) a tub bath, and I have to get dressed before leaving the bathroom rather than just stepping into the bedroom to get dressed.

Now, you and Tillerwoman may have a different priority, but you should never settle for less on whatever it is.

Of course, there's always the option of having a home custom-built just for you -- that's what we did with the vacation place, and we're very happy with it.

JP said...

Good luck Tillerman - know your situation well!

There is no such thing as a perfect house or apartment. So work out what is most important and go for that.

I love my river view but it is a luxury and expensive one at that.

From what I hear, it sounds like the US market's static or downward direction means you are not in any pressure to make a rapid decision - big plus.

Anonymous said...

Tillerwoman is definitely the boss when it comes to the necessities of the house. :D And you're a wise man for listening to her demands.

The Southcoast region of Massachusetts is a pretty good one too. Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett...etc.

Pat said...

It could be worse...
at least Tillerwoman only wants ONE house. Count your blessings.

Ross Bennett said...

dont mean to offend here, but usually when you sell your current house, you have another house lined up....
what happened?

or are you just letting the fun take its course?
not that there's anything wrong with that, I just dont think I could deal with the stress...

Tillerman said...

Good question Ross. In our region currently it's a lot harder to sell a house than to buy one. Houses can sit unsold on the market for over a year.

So we figured it would actually be less stressful to sell our house first and then go house shopping. With the proceeds from the house sale in my back pocket (metaphorically speaking) and no house to sell, it puts us in a strong position as buyers.

Post a Comment