Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I am a Rhodilanda

Today we completed the purchase of our new home in Rhode Island and I officially become a Rhodilanda. Or did I?

According to one website I now have to complete this application form for Rhode Island citizenship which has qualifications such as I Have A Friend/Cousin/Ex-Boyfriend Named Vinny and I Know What A Low Numbah Is And How To Use One. (Does it count if I have a lawyer named Vinnie?)

And it seems I have to learn a totally new language with words like weeniz and kwah-hawgs.

Geeze. This sounds almost like a foreign country with its own language, culture and customs.

And then at another website there is a long list of tests to determine Do you qualify to be a Rhodilanda? I am so far from passing most of these tests that I don't even understand what some of the "tests" are talking about.

But I am making progress. I do know that as a Rhodilanda that I eat my clam chowder white instead if red; I am still angry that the Aussies stole "our" America's Cup; and I am looking forward to having one of those cool car number plates with a wave or sailboat logo (probably without low numbahs).

However I have no idea what a bullrake is, I'm not familiar with Atwells, and I'm not on first name terms with Patrick, Jack and Sheldon (yet). Perhaps the good people of my new home state will allow me visitor status with a chance of qualifying as a real Rhodilanda in a couple of generations or so?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in RI. It's one of the best places in the world to live if you're a racing sailah, er, sailor. And the pizza's pretty good, too. Congrats and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I spent the summer of 84 (the "you should have been here last year" summer) selling kites in Newport. It's a great places especially after the tourons leave.

Mondale said...

The wife hails from 'Lil Rhody'. It's gorgeous, we're off there tomorrow in fact for some beach/grilll action.

S. Weasel said...

CO-hogs, if you please.

Peter Mc said...

I've got a rhodilanda. No, sorry it's a rhodedendron. All happiness in your new home.

"Raps" said...

Wow! Now there is a post I can relate to!

Anonymous said...

I guess the internet has not reached deepest darkest Rhode Island yet...

Tillerman said...

Mr Litoralis, I am discovering that things in Rhode Island move at their own sweet pace which suits Tillerwoman and me just fine as we settle into our little cottage by the sea.

In fact, the Interwebs have now been connected to this corner of the bay, and thanks to my new best friends Julio the cable guy and Paul his buddy at the cable office (with whom I have had many fascinating and helpful conversations) I now do have access to the Google and the other Interwebs at lightning speed.

But Tillerwoman has just interrupted me to point out that buying a bed is probably a more important priority than "messing about on my computer" And she is probably right. Sleeping on the Laser is not exactly comfortable.

So one day soon I may resume blogging. Just remember I'm on island time, mon.

Anonymous said...

Sleep tight, but we do miss you....

Willie Waw said...

Tillerman, real Rhode Island chowdah is more like a dishwater gray -- we don't use cream or milk in it -- it has a clam broth base with herbs. It's good, but very different from New England chowder.

Welcome to Ro Dilan!

PeconicPuffin said...

So...how are you finding the sailing in Rho Dilan?

bonnie said...

Well, I may live in NYC but IMHO, red, or Manhattan, clam chowder is vegetable soup with clams.

BTW you do occasionally see white clam chowder at the delis, or on diner menus, here in NYC. However, it is an insipid, watery fluid at best, not the creamy rich stuff it should be.

After numerous dissappointments, I finally realized the truth - that it's all a plot by the promoters of Manhattan chowder to actually make their vegetable soup with clams look like a viable candidate for the name "chowder". I no longer fall for that ruse.

Post a Comment