Sailing is fun. I do it for fun anyway. It's meant to be fun. Isn't it?
OK, occasionally it's not fun. Such as the times when I do something stupid and hurt myself... like the time I almost chopped my finger off.
But the dudes racing in something called the Volvo Ocean Race have taken "doing it for fun" to a whole new level. According to this medical update from the race website, the chappies sailing in this extravaganza are having an extraordinary number of cases of "injured while having fun". Here is just a sample of the fun they have had so far...
- Kettle burn
- Kidney infection
- Two broken ribs
- Nine mouth ulcers
- Mashed thumbnail
- Prolapsed disc in back
- Head slammed by boom
- Three cases of seasickness
- Torn medial meniscus in knee
- Mouth ulcer caused by a bitten lip
- Grotesquely mangled and bloodied index finger
- Fifty nine cases of infected skin and sores
- Torn anterior cruciate ligament
- Seven head or face injuries
- Five fungal infections
- Torn buttock muscle
- Knee infection
Way too much fun for me.
I will never do the Volvo Ocean Race. I may have #11 but I don't want #18 thanks very much.
Until the next time... have fun!