Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Run, a Sail and a Pasty


On Saturday morning I went for a run along the roads bordering the Sakonnet River, from the Emilie Ruecker Wildlife Refuge to Seapowet Beach and beyond. It is a corner of Tiverton where you are unlikely to meet many other visitors, a road that meanders through farmland bordering the river and past salt marshes, with views up and down the river. I could hear the calls of sea birds and the honking of geese, two of which flew low across the road in front of me as I pounded along. Not a Dunking Donuts, or a Rite Aid, or an Exxon station in sight.

After an early lunch I took my Laser back to Seapowet Beach for a solo practice session on the Sakonnet. The winds were initially in the 5-10 knot range from the NW and I worked for a while on some of the faults in my light air skills (of which there are many.)

At 2:11 pm precisely (I checked my watch) I saw the wind line of the sea breeze coming in past the peninsula of Fogland to the south of me. I headed for the line and was soon enjoying 10-15 knots and was able to stretch my legs on a long beat down the river, followed by a delicious run overtaking waves all the way back. Plenty of time to work on some of those faults in my medium air skills (of which there are even more.)


That's the good thing about being a crap sailor who has received feedback from some excellent coaches. You always know plenty of stuff to work on.

After I had had enough sailing in the sunshine I went home. As I entered the house my nose detected a most excellent smell drifting from the kitchen. Tillerwoman was making Cornish Pasties for dinner.


Yes!

Some days are just beyond perfect.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only problem with the pastys (pasties?) is, as with spaghetti carbonara, you really should be working as hard as a coal miner to work off the calories and carbs.

Steve in Baltimore

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Spontaneous sailing is the best advantage of small boat ownership. That is why I want to down-size to a Harbor-20! Ardently!

kiwiyates said...

Ohhh - I would kill for a Pasty right now. In fact I could also murder a real Kiwi meat pie.... and some real fish & chips!

Funny the things you miss when you are away from home a while ... like sailing on a real ocean (the Pacific) and not some slimy lake or skinny intercoastal

tillerman said...

Right kiwiyates. As an ex-pat I've been away from "home" in one sense for over 20 years, and I think most of us in this situation crave for good old comfort foods from home.

Baydog said...

A perfect day


WV: grapplac. a wrestling white duck

Baydog said...

And then some

Turinas said...

I am suddenly hugely craving a pasty. I used to go to Cornwall a lot and lived off the bloody things. So good

Sam Chapin said...

Kiwi be careful what you say about that slimy lake or the Alligators will get you.

Carol Anne said...

Ooooh, there was this place in Abingdon that had the most wonderful steak-and-kidney pies ... I'm drooling just thinking of them ...

Pat said...

Och, but is anyone here drooling for a haggis? Who has the guts for it? Or is it the haggis that's drooling?

VW: inedopea -- a compilation of so-called foods that truly should be considered inedible and best fed to pigs or hairy barbarians

Post a Comment