Thursday, February 04, 2016

I See No Icebergs

Captain JP, himself an intrepid sailor of Arctic regions, asked me in the comments to yesterday's post for some photos of RS Aero sailing "in proper icy conditions where there are bergs in the water."

Well, I've spent at least three minutes searching the Interwebs and I can't find any.

The nearest I can come are these two photos.

The first one is of my friend launching an RS Aero in Newport Rhode Island last March.



And the second one is from some guy in Norway who had to outdo my friend by posting this picture of his RS Aero.



No icebergs to be seen.

But I did accidentally come across this picture of Kate Upton (whoever she is) taken on a ship in Antarctica where she had some photos of herself taken on the snow for some magazine called the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.



According to Wikipedia, which is never wrong, "Feminists have expressed that the Swimsuit Issue promotes the harmful and dehumanizing concept that women are a product for male consumption."

And that's all I have to say about that.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.


9 comments:

JP said...

I suspect that Buff has been helping you with your search queries.

Those Norwegians are a tough lot: I wouldn't be surprised if someone there has sailed an Aero amongst icebergs.

Tillerman said...

Could well be JP. Maybe some other reader can find such photos or videos.

Tillerman said...

I did find a video of crazy Norwegians sailing Lasers in the ice floes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpGif2efTzk

JP said...

Looks crazy to me (really icy conditions) but I have this feeling if you're young enough you'd use words like "brilliant!"

Tillerman said...

JP - Are we talking about the Laser sailors or Kate Upton?

O Docker said...

They say what you can't see is more dangerous than what you can.

That's also true of icebergs.

Axel said...

Don't mess with the norwegians!

US Marines brutally ambushed and defeated by Norwegian kids

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.2389/us-marines-brutally-ambushed-and-defeated-by-norwegian-kids.html

A group of US Marines made a terrible mistake and took on a bunch of Norwegian kids, which turned out to be a really, really bad idea.

Tillerman said...

OMG Axel. That's terrible.

I would just like to make clear that this blog post was not intended to denigrate Norwegians or anyone with Norwegian ancestry or anyone with Norwegian tendencies. This blog does not discriminate on grounds of national origin, sex, skin color, hair color, height, length of hair, excessive use of umlauts, eating lutefisk, choice of watercraft (excluding jetskis) or talking with a weird accent.

I would like to say that some of my best friends are Norwegians but I can't because I don't think I know any Norwegians. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in Minnesota once. Does that count?

Oh, and the Norwegian RS Aero sailor who posted the picture of his Aero in the snow has the same last name and same first initial as my friend in the first picture with his Aero in the snow in Newport. That must count for something? Right? They are probably distant cousins.

wheelsmith said...

so heavy duty airbrushing or kevlar bikini?
its very cold out there :)

Post a Comment