Thursday, November 29, 2007

Top Ten Sailing Posts of 2007 - Nominations Requested

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for nominations for my list of Top Ten Sailing Blogs of 2007. There sure are a lot of fine sailing blogs out there so, thanks to your help, I'll be publishing the selection of my own favorites before the end of the year.

In the comments to that post, Edward of EVK4 SuperBlog came up with an excellent suggestion for "a complementary piece on the top ten sailing posts of the year. This would allow those blogs that post infrequently but brilliantly to have a voice."

What a great idea. There are some blogs that aren't really sailing blogs but that do occasionally come up with some superb posts about sailing. And as Edward says there are some blogs that probably wouldn't make the Top Ten Sailing Blogs list because they haven't posted consistently over the year, but there are still gems of posts tucked away in those blogs.

Edward's comment was a bit ambiguous about whether he was going to produce the list of Top Ten Sailing Posts of 2007 himself or whether he wanted me to do it. Edward, I fully concede that you thought of it first so, if you have the time what with your Laser Olympic campaign and all, you are certainly welcome to pull this one together.

But as a first step let's please have some suggestions and nominations for the list of Top Ten Sailing Posts of 2007. Individual posts not whole blogs please. Which posts inspired you, informed you, made you laugh out loud?

No suggestions of posts from Proper Course please. Much as I enjoy the obsequious flattery that some of you purvey, it's not going to win you a coveted Top Ten placing for your blog. On the other hand if you will send me the details of your PayPal account I'm sure we can come to some arrangement for a modest four figure sum.

17 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

It's not exactly sailing but I liked this very much:
http://frogma.blogspot.com/2007/07/spooky.html

PeconicPuffin said...

I mean, at least it takes place in the water. I wouldn't go near one of her cucumber posts.

Tillerman said...

Totally agree pp. Those cucumbers are really spooky.

Christy ~ Central Air said...

Tillerman, I will abide by your request to not include your posts amongst my nominations, but let me just say that since I discovered The Google Reader earlier this year, reading your blog each morning has become as critical to the happiness of my day as my first cup of coffee (and that's saying a lot.) Also, unfortunately my paypal account is sadly as dry as the hull of my boat, which is bone-dry here in Central Ohio. In place of actual cash, I can only offer my observation, inferred from reading your blog faithfully each day (and Litoralis' too), that those who choose to sail Laser's are a universally-cool group of people.

Okay - [ahem] - Let me just fully 'come out' here as the president of Edward's fan club, by posting a few posts that I wish to nominate for this category:

Why I Sail

Why The Boy Just Doesn't Get It

Edward's Laser Olympic Campaign (including comments from Laser Twins)

And for sub-category 'Best Series of Blog Posts', I nominate The Praying Mantid series:
Predator Alert

Standing Guard

A Higher Calling

I'm sure I can come up with some nominations for some of the other sailing blogs that I faithfully read each day, between bouts of *thinking about* posts to my own blog but never actually writing them.

Tillerman said...

Thanks Christy. Geeze, does this mean I'm going to have to included Edward in both the Top Ten Blogs and Top Ten Posts list?

EVK4 said...

Oh crap, it's going to take a lot of time to sort through everybody's blogs. Luckily my blogroll is shorter than yours.

Christy ~ Central Air said...

T-man, yes please. :-)

EVK4 said...

Just for kicks, I googled coolest boat in the world and got this post. I nominate it.

Tillerman said...

Yeah, but if you google Laser Olympic Campaign the first item on the list is this post.

EVK4 said...

Holy crap, that is horrible. how many laser sailors deserve an apology after that? Ross, you're first, sorry.

Though it does make up for not being first for "true sailor" any more....damn that Sailor Moon!

Anonymous said...

Edward, I think you will need to buy a Laser and at least come to some regattas now...you know...just to keep things honest.

Anonymous said...

I have nominated a post here.

Anonymous said...

My favorite post is at http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/2007/11/my-favorite-pos.html

Christy ~ Central Air said...

Another nomination, if I might. Sailing Scuttlebutt loved it, and so do I!

From Messing about in Sailboats...

Too Drunk to Find my Dinghy

Captain Giblet Bag - oh dear.

bonnie said...

shoot...I'm so flattered to be nominated I haven't quite known what to say (except what's wrong with my cukes? they were awesome!). Plus how pleasant to revisit that post myself seeing as it was about one of my better evenings this summer of pure, pointless messing about in boats -

but speaking of messing about in boats, wow. That post Adam pointed out is...

well, wow. Think that one's got my vote. What a story.

bonnie said...

Seriously. Wow.

(ok, it's late, I'm tired, sorry about the lack of eloquence but...wow).

bonnie said...

Are you still taking nominations? Because I actually have one - Situations Open: Sailing Dutch Uncles from Messing About in Boats.

I actually stumbled across it after reading the Cap'n Giblet Bag story. Now THAT was a chilling reminder that if my fantasy of going for a bareboat cert course in the BVI's were ever to become reality (unlikely given my current economic status & life priorities, but a nice nice pipe dream), I should remember that it might not be PRECISELY as I fantasized it to be...

But that Sailing Uncle thing - that's not just an enjoyable read, but it actually carries a very true message about mentoring, giving a newbie a chance, encouragement, knowledge, and sea time. Hard to become a good boater without that. Works that way in kayaking, too - I had a really wonderful person take me under his wing when I started. Sadly haven't paddled with him in years now but everything I've learned, and now everything I teach, has a foundation in the paddling I did with him.

Post a Comment