List posts are supposedly very popular with blog readers. It seems that a title saying "X Something Or Others" draws the reader in. They're probably thinking, "Oh there's only X. It won't be too long. I might as well check it out." And then the format of a list is easy to scan for our notoriously lazy readers. They can see if the post is of interest much more easily than they can if they are glancing over an unstructured post of long paragraphs. Do you find that?
On the other hand some folk find list posts trivial and some bloggers think they are a lazy way to write. They are right. But, hey, what's wrong with trivial? This whole blogging nonsense is a pretty trivial pursuit when you think about it. Isn't that the point?
Anyway, before I get too philosophical, here is the complete list of lists. Enjoy.
- 18 Advantages of the Laser Sailboat
- 5 Things a Sea Kayaker Needs to Pass a CG Auxiliary Safety Inspection
- 8 Things I Learned While Boating
- A Dozen Places to Sail Before You Die in the Desert and Mountain Southwest
- Fifteen things that bugged me during last Saturday's single-hand race
- Six things that went right during the Joshua Slocum race
- 8 Things To Think About Whilst Learning To Sail
- 10 Things I Won't Leave My Urban Dock Without Having In My Sea Kayak
- 13 Lucky Charms for when the park ranger pulls alongside your boat
- Two people who won't sail with me right now
- 12 Ways to Sabotage Your Start
- Three Pieces of Windsurfing Gear I've Owned More Than Ten Years
- Four Surefire Ways to Look like a Dork when Sailing
- 6 Reasons why Yachts are better than Dinghies
- 6 Reasons why Dinghies are better than Yachts
- 28 checks for trailer sailors before launching a boat from a trailer
- The 3 least understood Racing Rules of Sailing
- Eleven Crazy Things You Can Do on a Laser
- 10 (or maybe only 6) things in a code of conduct for keelboat guests
- Six not quite good enough reasons to sell the Laser
- 10 Ways to make Sailing part of your Zen practice
- Top Ten Lame or Not-So-Lame Excuses Not To Get to the Lake
- 5 ways to improve the chances your wife will want to sail with you
- Five Ways to Improve Your Regatta Score Without Really Sailing Any Better
- 11 Reasons to Love High School Sailing
- Four Things My Dad Did That I'm Too Chicken to Do
- Seven Things That Would Make Joe Rouse's Blog Even Better
- 6 Reasons Why I Don't Have A Sailing List.
Update: two late entries added...
- List of Lists For List of Lists
- A Sailboat List
Update #2: another list that was brought to my attention later...
- 5 greatest dinghies of all time