For some reason, list posts are very popular. At least that's been my experience. Posts like Ten Reasons Why Sunfish Are Better Than Lasers and 7 Reasons Why a DoG Fight Will Be Good for the America's Cup have been among the most popular items on Proper Course. Seven Reasons to Hate Laser Sailors even has its own Facebook group.
I guess readers like lists because they are well structured, easy to read, and usually prevent the blogger from rambling on too much. The good news is that they are easy to write too.
So that's the assignment for this month. Write a list post about sailing. It could be on any aspect of the sport or your experience with it. Examples that some of my favorite bloggers might write could be...
- 5 Sexiest Mustaches Worn by San Francisco Bay Sailors
- 6 Best Places to Watch Boats in New York Harbor
- 31 Reasons Why Trimarans Are Awesome
- 7 Men I Would Like to Kiss on my Boat
- 3 Least Understood Racing Rules
- Your post must be about sailing (or close)
- The items on the list must be numbered
- The number of items must be in the title
1. Write a list post about sailing on your blog. Please publish the post before Sunday May 24.
2. Once you've posted your list, let me know about it by sending an email to email@example.com including a link to your post. If you don't have a blog just email me your list and I will post it here.
3. I will post here two links to your list. Every day or so I will write a post listing any new entries in the project. Then at the end of the project I will publish the ultimate, definitive, official, all-time "List of Sailing Lists" post. I wonder how many we will have? 99 Lists About Sailing sounds like a good title to me.
Look forward to hearing from you...