Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Dappled and Drowsy and Ready to Sleep



One of my many talents is that I am able to take a nap at any time of day. It could be after lunch. It could be while watching a boring TV program. I just drop out for about 15-20 minutes and awake energized and refreshed.

For some reason, Tillerwoman has a problem with this habit. She seems to think it is a symptom of laziness, or perhaps even rudeness (to her.) I don't know why. I tell her it is a skill I have and it's not my fault that she doesn't have the aptitude to take power naps like me. Really, I don't know what her problem is. I don't take naps when we have company. At least, not very often.

Now comes news from the New York Times that napping is a technique used by elite athletes. Many basketball players in the N.B.A. take a pre-game nap. Grant Hill of the Phoenix Suns say, "It refreshes you. It gets you ready for competition." Exactly.

Baseball players do it too. Ricky Henderson was discovered taking a power snooze when he was supposed to be at a meeting. And Ken Griffey Jr. was even found asleep in the clubhouse during a game once. Bravo sir! Baseball games are soooooo long. I sometimes take a nap when I'm watching them too.

This is great news. At last, there is a way to improve sports performance by doing something I'm actually good at. Forget weight training. Forget cardio. My plan this year is to raise my Laser racing game to a whole new level by the strategic use of power naps.

I figure that at every regatta, after I have rigged my Laser, I should find a quiet corner in the yacht club and settle down for a snooze. I will rely on the harbor gun to tell me when it's time to wake up, all refreshed and full of energy, to go and launch my boat.

Then between every race, I will lie down on my Laser and take a short nap. I'm sure the other sailors will see that I am not in control of my boat and keep out of my way. The prep signal will wake me up and I will have an enormous advantage over all my fellow competitors who spent the time between races wearing themselves out sailing around and doing all those exhausting tasks like checking out the wind and the current and the start line etc. etc. etc.

Why didn't I think of this before? I don't think any of my sailing books cover this technique. Maybe after I have proved how effective it is I should write a book myself. Seven Simple Snoozing Strategies for Sailing Success.

I'm so excited I think I'll go and take a nap now.

13 comments:

Sam Chapin said...

I like the new picture. I assume that is T-man in the 170,ooo something in the lead.

Tillerman said...

Welcome back Sam. Sorry to hear about your wife.

No, that's not me in the lead. There appears to be an immutable law of the universe that states that on the (very) rare occasions when Tillerman is leading a race, nobody ever takes a picture of him.

O Docker said...

I'm thinking this may make a more suitable photo for the top of your blog than all of those silly Lasers.

Tillerman said...

You could be right O. There's even a nice blank area in the top left hand corner for the blog title.

Baydog said...

I love the all-encompassing "Best Blogs on the Planet".

Any chance I can get back in the "What the Critics Say" section?

Tillerman said...

Consider it done.

Baydog said...

Warm and fuzzy

Joe said...

Fantasic poooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pandabonium said...

Brilliant technique. But on the boat, how do you keep the newspaper from blowing away or getting wet?

Smilicus said...

Like the new look Tillerman

Have to say that skill of yours is wicked - wish I could take 40 winks anywhere, anytime

Tillerman said...

Thanks Smilicus. Yes, I do look rather fine in that shirt don't I?

Panda, you are right in surmising that the newspaper technique has some difficulties on the boat. However, after years of working on my power nappping technique, my snoozing skills are now at such a highly tuned level that I can dispense with artificial aids such as newspaper.

O Docker said...

Wait, did you just say you don't need the newspaper anymore? It's amazing the mysteries your blog can explain.

There must be thousands of Laser sailors who have mastered that technique.

Newspaper circulation has been plummeting in recent years, and finally we know why.

Tillerman said...

Newspapers are like yacht clubs. They are for people who like wearing ties and socks.

Post a Comment