Friday, March 04, 2011

Why Don't You Write Me?



At last, the Proper Course Group Writing Contest Judges Panel has selected the short list of finalists in our deadly serious and highly competitive Navigation contest, and it is time for you to vote to choose the overall winner of the grand prize, Tristan Gooley's book The Natural Navigator.


There were several excellent tales of navigational errors, lost navigators, near disasters... and the panel decided that of this group the best was

The Graveyard of the Pacific by John from PDX.



The judges were pleased to see that Mr O Docker submitted a couple of entries. Always original, always totally nuts, he did not disappoint. So also nominated for the short list is

A History of Navigation, In Verse by O Docker from O Dock.



Finally on the short list we have a blogger who has been blogging about watery bloggy stuff for even longer than me. Educational. Hilarious. Touching. Our final nominee is

Buoy Crazy by Bonnie from Brooklyn.



And now it's over to you. Please go and read all three posts in the links above and then tell me in the comments which of these worthy entries should win the grand prize. Why don't you write me? I'm hungry to hear you.Thank you again to all the writers that participated in the competition. I enjoyed all of your articles.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better buy two more books, you have yourself a three way TIE!

Baydog said...

You know, anonymous, you took the words right out of my hands. This may be ultimately up to Tillerman.
I do love poetry, however.

O Docker said...

Hey, a tie would work for me.

Especially since I thought I was going to lose in a landslide. I was already putting the finishing touches on my concession speech:

It's been a tough, hard-fought campaign. I've had my differences, of course, with the other candidates, but the people have spoken and I'm prepared to work together with others to get on with the hard navigational tasks that lie ahead.

I want (John or Bonnie) to know that I am prepared to support their administration one hundred per cent, and that I am available to serve as Blogroll Lackey, or to go out for pizza, if desired.



I think I'll kick back for the rest of the day, have a quiet dinner with the family, and wait until CNN calls it.

bonnie said...

Truth be known, part of why it took me so long to get going was because I read the poem & thought "I can't compete with that".

O-docker, or ode-doctor?

bonnie said...

And John's piece was hair-raising. I can just see the behemoth rising in the gloom.

Baydog said...

If it's a tie, I hope it's wide and loud to go with the horn helmet of yours, O Docker!

Mojo said...

... and this being a sailing blog it should probably be a bow tie.

Mojo said...

Here's one for the two gents... dapper!

... Bonnie may be happy with the book.

Joel Taylor said...

I vote for O docker. Poetry rocks!

Pandabonium said...

Tough call. You need a three sided coin to toss. Go get a Toblerone chocolate bar, write each blogger's name on a different side, and toss it (in the box) spinning into the air.

Then enjoy the chocolate.

will said...

my vote goes to Bonnie . . . but i'm biased. here's my tribute to her: http://tugster.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/gulls-for-bonnie/

tillerman said...

I see there was a vote on the original Navigation post, so I have copied it over here...

PJ Spijkerman said...

For my sins. I favor the buoy crazy entry and would nominate that the winner of the prize. Not that the others aren't worth a prize, but buoy crazy rings many bells for me.

Sailing a large "platbodem" in Holland, it seems buoys are like magnets. I need them to mask my insecurities with respect to position, but oh my I can do without them when I hear this very loud bang, followed by a gentle "cling cling cling" noise underneath the hull letting me know one of my friends will be popping up behind the stern.

Carol Anne said...

I would have to agree with Baydog ... it's a tie, and O's had better be something spectacular.

BlueVark said...

Its a tie, they are all equal. Except on reading them again in my heart Bouy Crazy is a little bit more equal than the others :)