Monday, March 14, 2011

A Most Peculiar Man




My 5-year-old granddaughter Emily loves to draw. Lately she has been drawing various groups of family members.

The good thing is that each person in her drawing is unique. She is not just drawing random stick figures. She is trying to draw pictures that represent each person individually.

However, it's not all that easy yet for us mere adults to work out who is who in her pictures.

The drawing above is of me, Tillerwoman and Emily. I am the rather short person on the left. Apparently I am about half as tall as a 5-year-old. I guess it's good news that I am also married to a woman about twice as tall as me. I think.

But if you look closely you will see that Emily has given us all distinct hairstyles. She is astute enough to notice that I have hardly any hair on top of my head but two little tufts on each side.

What does this mean? Why is my hair (or lack of it) the thing she remembers most about me?
Why does Emily think I am shorter than her? Is it a recognition of my childish and playful nature? I appear to be a most peculiar man. 

2 comments:

O Docker said...

It's all a question of perspective, I guess.

To me, the most significant detail is that Emily is the only one whose feet are not firmly planted.

I think Emily is just learning to fly.

As we get older, we forget that we can all fly, if we want to.

Smilicus said...

Kids see the world in such a different why that adults, some times I which I still had my kiddy eyes.

Maybe a explanation to your artist portrait by Emily:

The 2 tufts on your head is surely all se think you have, since when sailing your laser, that is the only hair that sticks out from underneath you cap.

And your length - well that is from all the hiking on the laser she thinks you are a lot shorter or flatter.

Post a Comment