Monday, March 14, 2011

Mrs. Wagner's Pies




Today March 14, often written as 3/14, is Pi Day. Get it? Pi= 3.14159 etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum (literally).






Of course, being a bit of a geek I could write several hundred words about Pi. But that would probably bore all of my readers and would not help me in extending my streak (currently standing at 17) of writing posts with titles referencing Simon and Garfunkel songs.

So I will write about pie. Here is a real English delicacy. A pork pie.







I stole this photo from a blog post entitled Things I Tried Once but Never Again! The lady who writes the blog says, "There’s no earthly reason for this gastronomic monstrosity. Bits of fat and gristle covered in lard and grease." She hated it so much she included it on her list of "Things I Tried Once but Never Again" along with "Asking out boys" and "A Brazilian wax in Brazil." Kat just doesn't get pork pie. (She doesn't get Brazilian waxes in Brazil any more either.)





What? You expected a photo here of a Brazilian wax? You must be joking. This is a family blog. I told you I was a geek. This is sorbitan monostearate. It's quite waxy. It's as close as you're going to get. Let's move on.

But oops. Simon and Garfunkel didn't write about pork pies as far as I know. But they did write about Mrs. Wagner's Pies. Apparently it's what you buy just before you walk off to look for America with Kathy, and some real estate in your bag. Hmmm. Kat? Kathy? Any connection I wonder?

Now, one of the problems with having moved to America in 1989 (and I'm still looking for it too, by the way) is that many cultural references to anything before 1989 often mean nothing to me. Apparently Mrs. Wagner of Mrs Wagner's Pie fame went out of business in 1969. So I have never seen a Mrs Wagner's Pie, much less tasted one. But they were famous in their day (or so it says on the Internet.) I wonder if they were like English pork pies?

But oops again. This is supposed to be a sailing blog, and I don't think Mrs. Wagner of Mrs. Wagner's Pies was a sailor. But it's possible. She was from the Jersey shore, home of many accomplished sailing Wagners.







There is also a Wagner who sometimes paints pictures of sailboats. Arline Wagner. 






That picture at the top of the post is by her. It's called Sailing at Sunset.

I think I'll go and watch the sunset now. Happy Pi Day.

24 comments:

Baydog said...

That pork pie looks to die for, or from. The only thing that would make that better is if the space between the forcemeat and that wonderful looking crust had beef aspic filling it in!

my2fish said...

that pork pie does look appealing.

baydog, are you gonna whip one of those up to let us know?

Baydog said...

No whipping there M2F, but alot of grinding, kneading, and rolling. Kinda like a (sorry O Docker) pate en croute.

Tillerman said...

Beef aspic? It would be pork jelly in a genuine Melton Mowbray pork pie. Perhaps Kat would have like it better if it had jelly in it?

my2fish said...

@Baydog:
210, 220... whatever it takes.

O Docker said...

Aspic, pork jelly?

If Baydog wouldn't insist on his French, I think you're both talking about the same thing, beef vs. pork aside.

I think what may have done in Mrs. Wagner's Pies was a Philadelphia product that Baydog no doubt remembers from his youth - and which he may still be trying to digest - the venerable Tastykake.

No one has any idea what it is made from.

Baydog said...

m2f: Actually, it takes about 350-375 F to get that pastry cooked just right. Knowing your German heritage, I'm not surprised that makes your mouth water.

TM: Pig Jelly actually would be more suitable for pig filling. But I wouldn't criticize.

OD: There are many forms of the Tastykake, but do you remember the Tandytake? I think the shortening in those was none other than beef suet. It all tasted like scrapple to me.

When Dad came home from the Reading terminal (there's that word again) with scrapple and head cheese, we'd meet him at the end of the walk, barely able to contain ourselves!

my2fish said...

baydog:
German, I am, but I don't recall ever having that dish while growing up.

my earlier comment (210, 220... whatever it takes) was meant to be a joke, my stab at a quote from the movie "Mr. Mom" with Michael Keaton.

and I'll take your word for it on the preparation!

WV: wingun - I'd be wingun' it if I tried to make that pork pie.

O Docker said...

Baydog, with such an upbringing, it's a miracle your tastebuds weren't permanently damaged.

I survived one summer job subsisting on Tastykakes alone, at a place that had only vending machines for nourishment. My favorite was the Butterscotch 'Krimpet'.

I think by purposely misspelling things, they avoided legal liability for misrepresenting their products as actual baked goods.

Tillerman said...

I've been wondering whether to write more about sailing on this food blog but I don't think my readers would stand for that.

Carol Anne said...

Uh-oh, I should have checked what was going on here before I posted my challenge for A new writing project.

Pandabonium said...

The painting is beautiful. As for pork pie - this is why the term "English Cuisine" is an oxymoron.

Tillerman said...

Black pudding to you Panda. Black pudding.

PeconicPuffin said...

A Facebook friend suggests that the big moment on Pi day is 1:59, bringing us to six digits.

How about an "I am a rock I am an island" post? Work in haggis and who knows what could happen...

Tillerman said...

Puffin, you are quite right. But it was already after 1:59 when I realized it was Pi Day.

And I've already done the I am a rock - I am an island post. Please try and keep up with the rest of the class.

O Docker said...

Thought for sure your piece of Pi this year was going to be this.

Beware the Ides of March!


EVK4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EVK4 said...

Pi * l337% = 42

Tillerman said...

Geeze Edward. We don't hear from you for months and then we get one deleted comment and a hieroglyphic one. You must have got water on the brain from all that swimming.

Carol Anne said...

And then there were Mrs. Lovett's pies ...

Archie Medes said...

Bravo Tillerman. How smart of you to celebrate Pi Day by writing a post that goes in a circle from the first photo and back to it at the end. You are a blogging genius.

Tillerman said...

I was wondering if anyone would notice that brilliant stroke, Archie.

Zhuang Lemon Duck said...

Simon and Garfunkel didn't write about any pies. Simon wrote the songs. Garfunkel just sang on them.

Tillerman said...

Good catch ZLD. You are correct.

From Wikipedia...

While Garfunkel was not a songwriter per se, he did write the poem "Canticle" as a re-write of Simon's "Side of A Hill" from his debut album, for "Scarborough Fair/Canticle". He also worked as the vocal arranger for the duo, working out who the songs would be sung by and how each song was produced. He is also credited as having written the arrangement on "The Boxer" and creating the Audio montage, "Voices of the Old People" on "Bookends".

Post a Comment