Friday, September 04, 2009

Those Guys

I've written here at length about some, perhaps mythical, sailor I call "that guy". He's the one I'm always trying to beat on the race course but never do. (Well hardly ever.)

The truth is that there isn't just one "that guy". There are a whole bunch of them... "those guys." Old geezers like me who I'm always meeting at Laser regattas up and down the east coast. I've been crossing tacks with them for years. They are all tough competitors on the race course and good fun afterwards.

Here are photos of three of my "those guys" at the Laser Masters Worlds in Canada this week thanks to capizzano.com.

John Bentley



Alain Vincey



Amnon Gitelson


Good luck to all "those guys".

5 comments:

JBUSHKEY said...

There is something really inspiring about a bunch of guys who remember milk at $.05 a gallon hiking out.

Tillerman said...

Some of us don't remember stuff that well any more.

Perry said...

shouldn't you be at the worlds too? Why did your son schedule his wedding during the master worlds?

Pandabonium said...

Excellent post. For some it's about the racing, for others, like me, it's about enjoying relearning sailing as a way to share good times with my wife. It applies to sailing and any other pursuit - flying, bicycling, running, or any number of things. "That guy" is anyone out there living life with passion rather than sitting back and letting time pass them by while thinking about what they "shoulda coulda woulda" done.

Nice pics too.

Tillerman said...

Yes Perry, I should be there. I have no idea why my son and his fiancee didn't consult the Laser Masters regatta schedule before setting their wedding date. Amazing.

Still, it could have been worse. At least they didn't choose the same weekend as the New England Masters.

Post a Comment