Friday, September 18, 2009

Why I Didn't Sail the Laser Masters Worlds

I think I mentioned before that the reason I didn't sail in the 2009 Laser Masters Worlds in Nova Scotia earlier this month was that my second son had, quite astonishingly, failed to consult the International Laser Class Association website for the schedule of major Masters regattas before setting the date for his wedding!!!

So instead of drifting around St. Margaret's Bay a couple of weekends ago, clad in lycra and neoprene with a few hundred other old geezer Laser sailors waiting and waiting for wind to materialize and races to happen, quite fruitlessly as it turned out, I was....

... sitting at Guilford Yacht Club by Long Island Sound drinking a Dark and Stormy and having a laugh with my two favorite girls.

Yes, all was not lost. I brought my son up to be enough of a sailor to know that the best place for a wedding reception is a yacht club. And please note that, although I am not dressed in the aforementioned lycra and neoprene, I am wearing a very yachtie outfit of blue blazer and khakis.

Damn it. It may be a wedding but I am a sailor.

My two grandchildren (my other son's kids) Emily and Aidan were at the wedding, and of course they stole the show...


Emily was the flower girl. She had been told to walk very slowly down the aisle of the church... and she certainly complied. I was beginning to worry that the organist would run out of tunes before Emily completed her slooooow walk down the aisle, basking in the rapt attention of the congregation.



I think it was my job to keep Aidan occupied through the ceremony. I must have got distracted by something... perhaps my little guy making his wedding vows... and somehow Aidan escaped. Uh oh.


Talking of my son, here is a picture of the bridegroom. Yes this is the same kid from the Little Guy post a couple of weeks back. Cleaned up nicely didn't he?


And here is Aimee, my new daughter-in-law. Isn't she gorgeous?


And here is the happy couple together...


I think I see a keelboat in their future, maybe cruising to Block Island and the Vineyard, perhaps the Around Long Island Regatta in a few years? Who knows...

9 comments:

O Docker said...

Very dapper, grandad.

Great photos.

A keelboat to the Vineyard? Maybe that new hat you were looking for could be 'tactician'.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

GREAT photos. Thanks so much for sharing them :)

Carol Anne said...

Gorgeous photos. BTW, a flower girl walking up the aisle too slowly isn't a major problem, and church organists have a vast repertoire of ways to deal with delays. When Pat and I got married, our organist/pianist did an excellent job of filling the delay caused when my aunt and grandmother went to the wrong church, in which another wedding was being prepared, so they didn't immediately know they were in the wrong place. When they did figure it out and get to the right church, the organist/pianist had been improvising for 20 minutes.

JP said...

Loved the pics, big aahhh for the happy couple and grandkids!

Go for keel boat tillerman and then you can choose your hat from skipper, tactician, helm, pit, foredeck, ballast, cook, navigator, off watch snoozer or critical observer.

jbushkey said...

congratulations! Perhaps the new hat should be....

model! Think you could talk lands end into putting some laser shots into the catalogue? hahaha

Tillerman said...

Good idea jbushkey. But there's already one Laser sailor turned model Peter Hurley. I know he did shots for Ralph Lauren and Abercrombie & Fitch, but maybe Lands End are open to offers?

Brian said...

Much as I am flabbergasted at how well you clean up, and delightful as the pics of the boy and his bride and the grandkiddies, there's only one thing we want to see... the BRIDESMAIDS!!!! [lech, lear, snarl, cough]

David said...

"drinking a Dark and Stormy and having a laugh with my two favorite girls" may be the best wedding photo of all time . . . and a worthy substitute for Laser sailing.

Unknown said...

David, I couldn't agree more! I can't wait to see that one hanging on the wall as a 16 x 20! What a moment!

Post a Comment