Friday, April 23, 2010

I am an actor in Hollywood


“Being a sailor in Newport is like being an actor in Hollywood,” says Amanda Callahan, the Roger Williams University sailing coach in an article about the RWU sailing team published recently in Rhode Island Monthly.

Hmmm. I've never thought of it like that. Next time I'm thrashing around Newport harbor at the back of the Laser fleet on a cold, dark, Sunday afternoon in January I'll try and remember those words. I've never met the inspirational Ms Callahan, even though I can see RWU from my house and often see her sailing team out training or competing on the waters of Mount Hope Bay.

Check out The Great Race by Ged Carbone for one of the best articles I have ever read about college sailing, and specifically about the rivalry between two young Laser sailors.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Great, I like. So Luke will be trying to compete with the likes of Zach Railey in the Finn, who was one of his mentors; interesting.

Post a Comment