Saturday, February 05, 2011

I Will Go Sailing No More



Back in the good old days when the Interwebs were a wild and woolly place...it's hard to believe kiddies but there really was a golden era when digital music was free. Illegal as it turned out, but free. In those halcyon days I was an avid user of Napster. I used to do searches for songs with titles that included words like "sailing" or "boat" and thereby amassed a modest collection of such songs, all of which I now have on my iPod.

One of the songs I discovered in this fashion was Randy Newman's I Will Go Sailing No More. I had no idea at the time that the song came from a movie soundtrack. Some animated movie for kids called Toy Story apparently. Why would I be interested in such a thing?

Then came grandkids...



In the fullness of time Disney/Pixar did beget Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, and my two eldest grandkids discovered the Toy Story movies, and they became fans. My 2-year-old grandson Aidan started running all over the place shouting, "To infinity and beyond!" Strange dolls of a spaceman and a cowboy and other characters appeared in their house.

At various times over the last year I have watched all three Toy Story movies with them. They are surprisingly good. So are the movies. Not just for the technical quality of the computer-animation but because much of the humor appeals to adults too. Well, at least to this adult. Tour Guide Barbie cracks me up.

You have to hand it to Disney. They do know how to market the hell out of a movie franchise. Toys, books, DVDs, costumes, sequels etc. etc. And now we have, would you believe, Toy Story 3 Disney on Ice opening soon at a skating rink near you.

Which brings me to the point of this post. I've mentioned before that my daughter-in-law, the mother of the two incredibly cute kids in the photo above, has a Mommy Blog. She is currently running a giveaway contest on her blog for a Family Pack of 4 tickets for the opening night, February 18th, of Toy Story 3 on Ice at TD Garden in Boston. If this is of interest to you (or any of your little friends) then head on over to her blog to check it out at Toy Story 3 on Ice Contest. No googling required to win.

I think I will go and watch a movie now.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi.

Beautiful grandkids. I was introduced to Toy Stories by my children, only recently. And I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them too. They were not just funny but moving and I was drawn deep into the characters lives.

Baydog said...

Buzz Lightyear.......to the rescue!!!

My favorite is the T Rex doll who says, "I don't like confrontations!"

Boy, were those simpler times.

Baydog said...

BTW, before I read your post I got a little worried about the title.

Tillerman said...

I'm a little worried about the title too.

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

So am I. Worried.

O Docker said...

If I ever win a contest on your blog again, I now know what kind of free hat I want to win - the crab hat that Aidan is modelling.

Now THAT is something worth Googling for.

Tillerman said...

Mr. Potato Head: How come *you* don't have a laser, Woody?

Woody: It's not a laser. It's...
[sighs in frustration] It's a little light bulb that blinks.

Hamm: What's wrong with him?

Mr. Potato Head: Laser envy.

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

The only problem with the title is that it is an incomplete sentence. It should read,

"I Will Go Laser Sailing No More".

Post a Comment