Sunday, July 05, 2009

What the Hell Does Tillerman Mean?

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate," said The Captain.

It's my fault. When I invited you all to Write a Review for this month's group writing project I didn't make it clear enough what I meant by a "review". So what does dictionary.com say?

Hmmm.

The noun alone has 11 different definitions. What I was thinking of was definition #1: "a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation."

It seems that at least one of the two first contributors thought I meant definition #4: "a general survey of something, esp. in words; a report or account of something" (and I have no idea what the other contributor was thinking... or smoking for that matter.)

My mistake, but let's please keep to that first definition. I want criticism, evaluation, what you like and what you don't like about your subject. Check out some of my examples in Reviews What I Have Writ if you're still confused.

So I hope you are all enjoying the holiday weekend for America's birthday and that you had the chance to Swim Naked. Make sure that when you go back to work on Monday you find some time to participate in our group writing project Write a Review. You only have a week left before the deadline on Monday July 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment