Saturday, October 10, 2009

Few and Far Between

A few entries from the usual suspects trickled in this week for our Less is More group writing project...

Yarg of Apparent Wind told us about the Molting process of the species nauta novae-angliae. No shoes, no shirt, no problem.

Crazy Swim Dad submitted the more you drive the less intelligent you are which is actually about concentrating on one thing at a time while trying to improve your swimming stroke. I guess the same applies to improving your sailing technique.

Meanwhile, over on EVK4 Superblog, the same crazy swim Dad explains Why Popeye eats spinach which is actually about how he is swimming in order to get fit enough to run to the bow of a 44 foot boat. I don't think he actually submitted it to Less is More but it fits the theme so I'm counting it anyway.

I received another entry via email which will make an excellent companion piece to my own Less is More post when I get round to writing it, so I'm holding that one over until next week.

Oh, and I almost forgot O Docker who claims to have entered Tillerman's Next Writing Project? before I even announced it. I'm still scratching my head to work out what that post has to do with Less is More but if O Docker really can read my mind I had better not piss him off by ignoring him.

And finally Joe Rousse posted a superb video of Sea Kayak Sailing. I hate to agree with Joe but this sure looks like fun and is definitely "minimalist sailing." In fact it's so good I'm going to repost it here.



There's still plenty of time for you to participate in this project. Full instructions at Less is More.

Did I miss anybody?

5 comments:

O Docker said...

OK, you're right. That post, while it predicted your inspiration for the next project, really didn't answer the question you posed.

I've rounded the pin, sheeted in, and am heading back towards the line. But these Catalinas don't accelerate like a Laser. Expect a restart soon.

bonnie said...

Hmmm. I didn't really mean it as be part of the current project, but my post today was actually pretty minimal. So maybe it counts?

Fall.

Carol Anne said...

Try this:

Is less more?

tillerman said...

I dunno bonnie. It certainly is a minimalist post. But I don't think it sheds much light on minimalist boating.

bonnie said...

Nope, true. I should read the instructions.

I don't think I'm qualified to write about minimalist boating, really.

Although kayaking in general is a pretty minimalist form of boating, as I'm happily reminded every fall, as the folks at the neighboring yacht club begin hauling their boats out for the winter, and spring, as they are putting their boats back in. There's a lot to be said for a boat you can carry around on your shoulder!

I think windsurfing would be the ultimate minimalist sailing. Dinghies are pretty pared down, kayak sailing maybe even moreso, but we've all still got those pesky lines to deal with.

Post a Comment